CD5 EU: 1995 | Sony Soho Square | 662322 1
CD5 UK: 1995 | Sony Soho Square | XPCD680
- When (Radio Edit) 4:04 [4:03]
- When (K-Klass Dance Edit) 3:41 [3:40]
12″ UK: 21 Aug 1995 | Sony Soho Square | 662322 6
- A. When (K-Klassix Mix) 8:00
- B. When (Ginseng Mix) 8:19
12″ UK: 1995 | Sony Soho Square | XPR 2206 (The K-Klass Mixes)
- A. When (K-Klassix Mix) 8:00
- B. When (K-Klass Pharmacy Dub) 8:40
12″ UK: 1996 | White Label | GOD 002 (K-Klass / Van Helden Dubs)
- A. When (K-Klass Pharmacy Dub) 8:40
- B. When (Ginseng Mix) 8:20
12″ UK: 1996 | White Label | GOD 003 (K-Klass Phuture Mix)
- A. When (K-Klass Phuture Mix – Vers L’Amour) 8:00
- B. When (K-Klass Phuture Mix – Llamarada En Un Destino (Blaze)) 8:00
CT UK: 21 Aug 1995 | Sony Soho Square | 662322 4
- A1. When (Radio Edit) 4:04
- A2. When (K-Klass Dance Edit) 3:41
- B1. When (Radio Edit) 4:04
- B2. When (K-Klass Dance Edit) 3:41
DL: 27 Nov 2007 | Sunscreem Music | Beatport SMM018
- When (Original Mix) 4:53
- When (Ginseng Mix) by Armand Van Helden 8:20
- When (K-Klassix Mix) 8:00
- When (K-Klass Pharmacy Dub) 5:57
- When (K-Klass Radio Mix) 3:43
- When (Self Preservation Society House Mix) 9:26
- When (Venus 360° Dub by Marc Pirrone) 6:04
- When (Winchester Club Mix) 6:47
- When (Winchester Dub Mix) 5:55
DL: 27 Mar 2012 | Music Village Ltd | Amazon
- Janet Jackson – Twenty Foreplay 6:22
- Daphne – I Found It 5:52
- Clubzone – Passion Of The Night 6:24
- La Bouche – Sweet Dreams 6:15
- Sunscreem – When 6:52
- Lil Suzy – When I Fall In Love 5:59
- Boy George – Same Thing In Reverse 6:37
- Sleazesisters w/ Vikki Shepard – Sex 6:19
- Exposé – I Specialize In Love 6:22
- Backstreet Boys – We’ve Got It Goin’ On 6:12
- Paula Abdul – Ain’t Never Gonna Give You Up 6:21
- Giorgio Moroder – Together In Electric Dreams 6:29
- Ace Of Base – Lucky Love (Part 1) 7:07 [7:06]
- Ace Of Base – Lucky Love (Part 2) 5:33 [5:26]
- La Bouche – Sweet Dreams 6:57 [6:51]
- Diana Ross – I Will Survive 5:34 [5:28]
- Sunscreem – When 7:09 [7:02]
- Coolio – 1,2,3,4 (Sumpin’ New) 6:25 [6:22]
- Culture Beat – Inside Out 7:04 [6:58]
- Lina Santiago – Feels So Good 6:48 [6:42]
- 4 Hero – Mr. Kirk 5:13 [5:06]
- Various – 1995 Flashback Medley Part 2 13:29
- Leftfield – Afro Ride (Edit) 4:24
- Chemical Brothers – Chemical Beats 4:50
- New Order – Blue Monday (Hardfloor Mix) 8:34
- The Age Of Love – The Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Mix) 6:45
- Orbital – Wipeout (P.E.T.R.O.L) 6:15
- The Prodigy – One Love (Edit) 3:52
- Manic Street Preachers – La Tristesse Durera (Scream To A Sigh) (Dust Bros. Mix) 6:13
- Sunscreem – When (K-Klass/Pharmacy Mix) 8:40
- B.B. Feat. Angie Brown – Good Enough (Gemini’s Psychosis Mix) 8:54
- Robert Armani – Circus Bells (Hardfloor Remix) 8:58
- Dreadzone – Captain Dread 5:24
- The Shamen – Transamazonia (Deepdish Rockit Express Dub Mix) 4:21
Written and produced by Sunscreem. Assistant producer Gary Hughes.
- Original versions – Mixed by Sunscreem and Mark “Spike” Stent for SSO.
- Syclik – Mixed by Sunscreem. Additional mixing by Gary Wilkinson.
- K-Klass mixes – Remix and additional production by K-Klass @ The Pharmacy. Additional keyboards by John Dennison. Additional programming by Leon Roberts.
- Ginseng Mix – Remixed by Armand Van Helden for X-Mix Productions.
- Venus 360° Dub – Remixed by Marc “DJ Stew” Pirrone for X-Mix Productions.
- Self Preservation Society House Mix – Remixed by Dave Valentine and Joe Morena.
- Winchester Club Mix and Winchester Club Dub – Mixed by Sunscreem (Rob Fricker and Darren Woodford).
(More on The Winchester Club.)
Design and art direction: Sunscreem & Andrew Sutton @ Thinkelectric. Original cover photography: Gerd Ludwig (“Tree”).
℗ + © 1995 Sony Music Entertainment (UK) Ltd. Published by BMG Music Publishing Ltd. Distribution: Sony Music.
- Hot Track Remix – Digital mix by Paul Goodyear. ℗ 1996.
- Ultimix Remix – Digital mix by Mark Roberts. ℗ 1996.
UK Release Date: 21 Aug 1995
- An edit of K-Klass Pharmacy Dub appears on all non-promo releases. Full K-Klass Pharmacy Dub is 8:40 long and can be found on 12″ promos (XPR 2206 and GOD 002) and, in digital form, on Wipe’Out” — The Music compilation.
- Both sides of the tape play the same. The track list is identical to the European 2-track CD and UK CD promo: Track 1 is the Radio Edit (labeled as When), and Track 2 is the K-Klass Dance Edit (incorrectly labeled as K-Klassix Mix).
- The Underground Mixes vinyl is commonly sold as a two-record set. Catalog # may be listed as XPR 2210 or XPR 2211.
- GOD 002 white label is known as K-Klass / Van Helden Dubs. Comes in a plain die-cut sleeve. Both sides have identical labels without artist or track information.
- GOD 003 white label is known as International Mixes and contains versions of the K-Klassix Mix with French and Spanish lyrics.
Paul Carnell on the origins of When
Many years ago there was a dog named What (aka Wot-the-dog) living on the farm by our old studio. He had a great trick of picking up one of the farmyard chickens in his mouth and running round and round the building (the chicken didn’t seem to mind – in fact, I think she quite enjoyed it). One day we were listening to an unnamed demo that Lucia had made; the song needed a working title and just at that moment What ran past the window with the chicken in his mouth – so we wrote “What” on the tape sleeve.
The next demo idea that Lucia wrote was duly named “Which,” then “Why,” and finally one was called “When”!!! Once this song was finished off and used on the second album, we did consider renaming it “The Reign is Falling.” However, by then we’d been calling it “When” for so long that it didn’t seem right. Everyone at the record company liked the original working title, and the apocalyptic lyrics had sort of written themselves around it anyway.
We got frequently asked about this upon release of “When.” I think we generally said it was because people had asked “WHEN’s the next single out?”, but this was because we didn’t think anyone would accept the story about Wot-the-dog (and by this point we were fed up with telling the truth to journalists because they never believed it anyway).